TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Parole eligibility to Jury???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parole eligibility to Jury??? Login/Join 
posted
So in considering charges, I have determined that the only effective difference between a determinate sentence on a first degree felony and a capital crime seems to be the parole eligibility rules and minimum length of stay at TJJD. Is there anyway to relay this information to the jury? I know generally parole eligibility is not subject to discussion with the jury. However, in this case it seems that it would be relevant. Anybody ever looked at this issue? Any guidance?

Katherine McAnally

Posts: 30 | Location: burnet, texas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its been a loooooong while since I tried a DS (in fact one of the capital cases I looked back on had a definition for reasonable doubt Eek) but there is a fairly good explanation of the parole terms in all mine. I did a quick check of case law and didn't find any challenges on that issue.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post