TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    "child" for failure to attend
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"child" for failure to attend Login/Join 
posted
What definition of child do you use for failure to attend-- Have 18 year old who moved out of home and stopped going to school--any offense?

Posts: 169 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the wording of the Education Code after the 82nd Legislative Session. Sec.25.094.FAILURE TO ATTEND SCHOOL. (a)An individual commits an offense if the individual:
(1)is 12 years of age or older and younger than 18
years of age;
(2)is required to attend school under Section 25.085;
and
(3)fails to attend school on 10 or more days or parts of days within a six-month period in the same school year or on three or more days or parts of days within a four-week period. You may also want to review a relevant Attorney General Opinion. https://www.oag.state.tx.us/op.../2012/htm/ga0946.htm

Posts: 24 | Location: Austin, Tx, USA | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks--I forgot to check the pocket partSmile

Posts: 169 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does a marriage of a 16 year old failing to attend school affect their duty to attend school? Are they emancipated (as to the Education Code requirements to attend school) because of the marriage to someone 18 or older? If still required to attend school, I assume I need to serve child, parent/guardian and spouse.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post