TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Is Resporter's Record confidential?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Resporter's Record confidential? Login/Join 
posted
Is the reporter's record of a juvenile trial confidential under TFC 58.007(b)? The statute is vague about what is a "record and file of a juvenile court." Also, construing 58.007 as making every statement of facts from a juvenile trial confidential would seem to conflict with TFC 54.08 (Public Access to Court Hearings).

I've got a professor who wants to look at a statement of facts from a juvenile trial.

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know about confidentiality, but I have never heard that reporter's record are free to look at for anyone who wants it. Wouldn't he have to pay for it? Even the State has to pay for the record on appeal - how can he get to look at it for free?

Posts: 419 | Location: Abilene, TX USA | Registered: December 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because I have an interest in confidentiality sui generis, I am going to be bold enough to offer a reply. First, I would note that TFC 58.005 is very firm on the issue of confidentiality and very specific in describing the only exceptions thereto. Second, I reviewed a dozen cases on this general topic but none were precisely on point. Third, 58.005(7)specifically allows the court discretion to permit access to the records for good cause. Consequently, it would follow that upon submission of a proper motion to the court, and for good cause, the court could allow access.

Posts: 264 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post