TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Dumb Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb Question Login/Join 
posted
We have a girl on probation for CINS (she was expelled from school). This young person apparently cannot exist in society, because for the second time in as many weeks, she has had a blowup at our JJAEP program and has been detained for violating her probation.

The probation office wants me to file for delinquent conduct based on the fact that she has violated her probation (a court order). I say that I cannot make this into a delinquent conduct case because this is not the type of contempt of court proceeding covered by Section 51.03(a)(2). Also, Section 54.07 says you cannot file a contempt proceeding based on violations of an order setting out conditions of probation.

Am I missing something? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I think you are right. Before that change in the law you could flip a CINS into a delinquent case but no longer.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am assuming that this change does nothing to our ability to flip a violation of a jp court order into a delinquent? 54.07 refers only to orders of the "juvenile court".

Posts: 77 | Location: Montgomery County, Texas | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats one of the "issues" that caused so much controversy when the changed happened. There is an AG opinion that semi addressed the contempt cases that come up from JP courts. I don't agree with everything that it says but it definately indicates that those JP cases are good to go.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post