TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    HELP!! Mental Illness/Unfit to Proceed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP!! Mental Illness/Unfit to Proceed Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have a motion and order for examination under 55.11 and 55.31? I have a juvenile that is obviously suffering from mental illness or mental retardation and we have never done one like this before. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
806-894-3130
bgrissom@hockleycounty.org

Posts: 3 | Location: Levelland, Texas | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I e-mailed a couple of forms I have used. Hope they help. If not, call me, 713/755-5874. I may be board certified in juvenile law but that doesn't amount to a hill of beans when it comes to facing the confusion of Chapter 55 proceedings!

Posts: 10 | Location: Houston, TX, US | Registered: February 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help!

Posts: 3 | Location: Levelland, Texas | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope your colleague came up with helpful forms. I was on the Chapt. 55 workgroup some years ago and came away well aware that a camel is a horse designed by a committee. The real problem, however, is (a) to which facility will the juvenile be sent, and (b) the fact that there are no real competency restoration programs for juveniles even if we determined that he/she was unfit to proceed.

But, if you struggle with these matters, the real guru, who is solid and knowledgable is now retired family law judge, Harold C. Gaither - his number is on the State Bar list. He is very willing to talk to prosecutors especially with an eye toward smoothing the procedures.

Floyd L. Jennings, J.D., Ph.D.
Houston

Posts: 264 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely, Judge Gaither is the "guru" on the subject. Also for practical help and guidance, the Juvenile Law Section website has many Chapter 55 forms, many of them from Judge Gaither.

Posts: 10 | Location: Houston, TX, US | Registered: February 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post