TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Records Ordered Sealed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Records Ordered Sealed Login/Join 
posted
The court has ordered the records in a juvenile case sealed. This is the first one that has been requested or granted during my tenure. Section 58.003(g)(1) of the Family Code says taht I am to deliver my records to the court. Do I forward those to the clerk or the judge himself? Do I just pack up my whole file, or should I keep the actual folder as a record that this has been done?

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always taken the file to the clerk.

I've never kept anything, don't think you should keep anything. The records should be kept by the clerk for future "unsealing".

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was always mindful that the juvenile had the potential to apply to the court and get into that "sealed" file at some later date. I only tendered "official type" file contents - I removed "work product"-type info such as my notes, emails or personal communications. I also removed the offense report (the police agency would be ordered to tender that to the court). I put everything from the DA's file into a manila envelope and sealed that and stapled or taped a form on the outside detailing the juvenile's identifying information (name/dob/court's case number/offense/date of disposition/disposition - that sort of thing) and then tendered the sealed manila envelope to the clerk so that it could be placed into the file. I just never thought that by sealing his file and then asking permission and getting into the file at some later date, the juvenile should be able to have access to information that he would not otherwise have.

Posts: 113 | Location: Houston, Texas,USA | Registered: October 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post