TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    minority over representation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

minority over representation? Login/Join 
posted
Are any of you familiar with a study out of the governor's office to "reduce disproportionate minority contact" in juvenile cases? I got a call from someone at A & M wanting me to agree to sit on a "listening session" panel on this issue. My chief juvenile officer knows nothing about it...and the only ones who seem to have been contacted are LULAC, NAACP affiliates...and me.

Why am I nervous about this one??

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The governor's office has funded a boatload of juvenile programs. I couldn't find a listing for one being done out of A & M but the governeor's website has this blurb under CJD - Programs:

"CJD's juvenile justice research projects are designed to benefit the overall juvenile justice system. Research in the area of disproportionate minority contact assesses the extent to which minorities are subject to different confinement decisions than non-minorities. This project includes the development of standardized instruments assessing risk and making confinement decisions"

http://governor.state.tx.us/cjd/programs/

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post