TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Proof of other crimes in juvenile sexual assault cases
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proof of other crimes in juvenile sexual assault cases Login/Join 
posted

Question:
I am a law student at The University of Texas at Austin and am writing a seminar paper that will propose that Texas adopt FRE 413 + 414 in juvenile proceedings. This would allow prosecutors to prove other crimes (charged and uncharged) during the course of the true/not true phase of a juvenile sexual assault trial (an exception to the propensity evidence bar). i think this would be particularly useful in juvenile proceedings where our major emphasis is on rehabilitation and there seem to be problems getting a jury to believe a child when it's just his/her word against that of another child.
I am looking for as many opinions on the subject as I can get, from both prosecutors and defense attorneys. I also would like to know what the major problems in getting a jury to believe a child victim are, and if you all think that this solution could aid in these type of prosecutions. This is the current federal rule of evidence and a few other states (about 5) allow it as well. I am only proposing that it be used in juvenile cases.
Thank you so much and if you want more info feel free to email me AliDevoy@aol.com and I will quickly respond.

[This message was edited by Alicia Devoy on 03-21-02 at .]

Choices:
please type reply or email and I will get back with you ASAP

Posts: 1 | Location: Austin | Registered: March 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Texas has adopted a statutory provision that permits admission of evidence of other sexual offenses committed against a child, if they involve the same victim as being prosecuted. See article 38.37, Code of Criminal Procedure.

John Bradley
District Attorney
Williamson County, Texas

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post