TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Looking for wisdom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for wisdom Login/Join 
posted
OK...Here's a fine mess I've gotten myself into...I have a 14yo male from Minnesota who came to Texas with his adult sister (Why? Because Texas has the highest number of Walmarts) They had a scam working whereby they stung a number of Walmarts with a bogus Target advertisment for baby formula at $5 less than the actual cost. They struck a number of stores throughout the state and only by chance got nabbed here in Nacogdoches. They had over 750 cans in their van when caught.
My question is this: We have indicted the sister, but both suspects have returned to Minnesota. Their father is in Pakistan avoiding a warrant and the mother is in jail on a fraud conviction, while not willing to let him go, do I really want to us Texas resources on a Respondent with no ties other than committing the offense here?
Any input/comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks, John

Posts: 26 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he committed an offense in your jurisdiction, then you should prosecute him. Otherwise, crooks like this will keep doing what they do.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken Sparks is very wise and is correct.

My question is this - WHOSE "custody" is he in??If his father is in Pakistan and his mother is in jail, he may already be in the custody of either the juvenile authorities or children's protective services. Often when you prosecute a child in that situation, they are simply returned to the state's custody - ie - back to CPS. If he is in the juvenile system for an offense - it is possible that the Minnesota authorities will prosecute him there for your offense (if their state law allows that - and some do).

My advice is to call the authorities up there and find out what they are going to do with him and work with them, if possible.

To get him back here you would have to do a request through interstate compact.

Posts: 113 | Location: Houston, Texas,USA | Registered: October 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post