TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    18 year old truants
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

18 year old truants Login/Join 
posted
Does a justice or municipal court have jurisdiction over an 18 year old truant student whose is voluntarily enrolled in school?

Posts: 1 | Location: Livingston, Tx | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The lack of response to juvenile law posts never fails to amaze me.

Here are my thoughts for what they are worth.

EC 25.085 requires children to attend school.
However, subsection (e) appears to require 18 year olds voluntarily enrolled to attend each school day. However, subsection (e) further states that the school district may revoke the enrollment of an 18 year old if the 18 year old has more than 5 unexcused absences. Once the 18 year old's enrollment is revoked he can be prosecuted under EC Sec. 37.107. You'll note that none of the other subscections have this extra language.

The idea appears to be that if an 18 year old does not want to attend school why mess around with him? Just cut him loose and prosecute if he commits a trespass on school grounds.

Confused

Posts: 158 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my CCL judge does the truancies, he issues a formal court order that the 18 year old attend. When he then fails to be present, we file Class B contempt and handle it that way. I normally go with a no fine probation, and agree to dismiss as soon as they get a GED or high school diploma.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post