TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    School Notification
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School Notification Login/Join 
posted
CCP15.27 sets out the school reporting requirements. It sets out that post-arrest the law enforcement agency SHALL report specific crimes to the schools within specified time periods. However, if law enforcement fails to give this notice and the school gets wind of charges and calles juvenile probation, MAY juvenile provide this information to the schools (under FC 58.0051 or any other relevant statute)?

Posts: 77 | Location: Montgomery County, Texas | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would tell my probation departments no.
Nothing like ticking off the Juvi Board by doing something you know is not called for in the code.
Unless of course your school and probation department have had the foresight to have an agreement under 58.0051. I certainly think that with a 58 agreement that type of info could be passed on. Haven't seen too many of those agreements but I think Jay Johannes in Columbus has one.

Code is very specific as to who can tell what and to whom and the school is definately not mentioned in 58.07.

I would refer the school back to the police department since they should have sent the notice to begin with. Nothing keeps the police department from filing a "late" notice.

Keep in mind of course the DA's office should be filing notice to the school upon adjudication so the school should get their notice then as well.

[This message was edited by Stacey L. Brownlee on 02-07-06 at .]

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post