TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    APPLY NOW: Appellate Specialty
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

APPLY NOW: Appellate Specialty Login/Join 
posted
The criminal appellate specialty has become active. Here is the TBLS web address for those interested in applying this year:

http://www.tbls.org/Cert/AttyGetStarted.aspx

[This message was edited by John A. Stride on 02-16-11 at .]

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like a fool, I tossed my notebook of old stats when I left my old job. I'm fairly sure I have nearly 50 oral arguments, but can only account for about 15 without that book.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I imagine that is a common issue for more than a few more experienced applicants. It is too bad the courts online site doesn't permit a search of oral submissions.

Would a Westlaw/Lexis search of all the cases bearing your name help jog your memory?

I would be in the same boat as you, because after the SBOT denied appellate attorneys a waiver for for the regular criminal speciality, I ceased keeping personal statistics. Back then the appellate speciality was a pipe dream. It might be worth speaking with Gary McNeil at TBLS.

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not a requirement that you do 50 oral arguments is it? I thought it was only 50 appellate cases with a minimum of 5 oral arguments.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's an over-achiever. Smile Yes, you're right on the numbers, Newell. 50 cases and 5 oral arguments in your career, 25 cases have to have been within the past 3 years.

Deadline's been extended to 5/16, by the way, for anyone who was thinking about applying.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been doing this a little longer than the two of you. Wink I was more lamenting the ongoing diminishment of my intellect than anything else. You would think that as big a PITA as oral argument is, I would keep better track of them.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would never denigrate your accomplishments, O Great and Wise One. I just didn't want to discourage anyone who doesn't have as lengthy and illustrious a history from applying because they thought 50 was required. Smile

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very true. The number of arguments thou shalt have is 5, not 4 nor 6. 7 is outright...

By the way, the online application process works very well.

posted Hide Post
So how many applied? Seems like a limited number of appellate qualified Prosecutors??? just curious

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know in general, but three from my office are currently studying for the test. Smile

posted Hide Post
So how many applied? Seems like a limited number of appellate qualified Prosecutors??? just curious

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know of two that have applied.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently trying to get that information from the SBOT. If they share and I can, I will.

posted Hide Post
Here you are, Martha and other inquiring minds. Twenty-seven, who have not been otherwise grandfathered in, have been approved to take the new exam. But I don't know the number of total applicants, the number grandfathered, or the breakdown of judges, court staff, prosecutors, and defense attorneys.

posted Hide Post
Only 27 doesn't give much cushion on the curve. I better start studying.

posted Hide Post
I may be slow on the uptake - but I just noticed online that the exam specifications for the criminal appellate specialty were amended this month.

For anyone else who didn't realize this - they've added ethics to "required knowledge" section.

Posts: 15 | Registered: March 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, now that's a whole different kettle of fish! No one ever told me appellate lawyers had to have ethics! Wink

I think the ethics section is a requirement on all of the specialization exams, actually.

Just a reminder to anyone who's been dithering -- today's the last day to pay your fees!

posted Hide Post
Ha! I should have known I couldn't get out of this without have my ethics tested. Smile

Just out of curiosity, how many signed up to take the exam on their laptop?

Posts: 15 | Registered: March 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did! Making my handwriting legible makes the exam take twice as long. Wink

posted Hide Post
+1 laptop, although the rules for Macs are unclear whether we have to use Windows and Bootcamp the native Mac version.