TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Matthew Paul Advanced Appellate Advocacy Course 2009
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matthew Paul Advanced Appellate Advocacy Course 2009 Login/Join 
posted
Just got back from TDCAA's Advanced Appellate Advocacy Course in Waco. Thanks to Erik Nielsen, Ashlee Myers, John Rolater, and John Stride for putting together such a wonderful course. I learned a great deal, met a bunch of great folks, and brought home a lot of tips to improve my practice. The problem was inventive and challenging. The speakers were top notch. And my stomach was full of adrenaline and acid.

Simply awesome!

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not know the course was named after Matthew Paul. That is a great way to remember him.

For new prosecutors, Matthew was the State Prosecuting Attorney (heads up appeals before the Court of Criminal Appeals from an office in Austin). He died a couple of years ago. Matthew was a great appellate lawyer with a sharp find for case law and brief writing.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another good example of the care that went into putting on the course.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed, this was a wonderful course and a very fitting tribute to Matthew. I know I learned a lot, and I know a lot of others also had a great experience.

But will we ever get over the longing for those lemon squares? Smile

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mmmm. Lemony goodness.

posted Hide Post
It truly was a great course and learning experience. The lemon bars helped too and were great! Big Grin

Posts: 10 | Location: New Braunfels, TX USA | Registered: September 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I concur with Newell, the course directors and faculty advisors were top-notch. I learned a great deal and I'm a better appellate prosecutor because of it.

[This message was edited by Barrett Shipp on 08-18-09 at .]

Posts: 8 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sure wish we'd covered how to enjoy DVDs and video because that's apparently an important appellate skill.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I'm impressed we have such a big following in China.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And it just keeps getting bigger.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
That's what she said.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post