TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Etheridge mandamus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Etheridge mandamus Login/Join 
posted
The CCA granted leave to file a mandamus and stayed an execution last week in Etheridge v. Cockrell. Anybody know what that is all about?

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must not have been that important after all, since he took the long walk last night.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was originally stayed because the judge who signed the death warrant had referred to the defendant as trash. So, another judge signed a warrant.

PS-the defendant only apoligized for stabbing one of the victims. He denied killing the 15 year old girl.

John Bradley
District Attorney
Williamson County, Texas

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's funny that Etheridge wouldn't admit killing the 15 year old girl, because as I recall when I worked on one of his writs (not on his side, of course), he confessed to police to killing the girl and stabbing her mom, he just wouldn't confess to sexually assaulting the girl with a broomstick. He said over and over, "I know I've already told y'all enough to get me the needle, but I didn't do that sick s*** with the broomstick."

The judge was just being honest. The world's a better place without Mr. Etheridge.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post