TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Appellate Challenge--cartoon brief
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appellate Challenge--cartoon brief Login/Join 
posted
We have incorporated photos and diagrams in body text, but can you incorporate a cartoon in your brief? Or, can your brief just be a cartoon?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/104999531/Cartoon-Brief

I've been in a couple situations where perhaps someone might have understood better this way.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sometimes wish I could just submit a PowerPoint.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cartoons, poetry and what else? What other unconventional briefing techniques are there? Anyone tried them in a criminal case?

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's inappropriate, but especially so in a criminal case. Briefs aren't a chance to show off how clever and funny we can be, they're a chance to advocate for a legal position that will affect a real person's life. While briefs like this might make me laugh as an observer, I can't help but think how I'd feel if I was the client and saw this was how seriously my attorneys took my case.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with Andrea. While I might embroider a presentation in an effort to make it engaging, I think the potential for such a technique to go over like a lead balloon is far too great. I do appreciate that sometimes form can help better convey a particular point. And there might be a few rare circumstances where message and medium combine to allow that kind of presentation. But I feel they would be so few and far between that I'm not going to spend a lot of time working on my inking skills. Most I'll do is get creative with a footnote, and even on that I've gotten burned.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AndreaW:
I think it's inappropriate, but especially so in a criminal case. Briefs aren't a chance to show off how clever and funny we can be, they're a chance to advocate for a legal position that will affect a real person's life. While briefs like this might make me laugh as an observer, I can't help but think how I'd feel if I was the client and saw this was how seriously my attorneys took my case.

Since this was an amicus brief submitted by, essentially, a pro-se attorney, I don't think the client had any objections as to form :P

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
And because it was an amicus brief, he was at greater liberty to take a crack at the court's briefing limitations. THAT seemed to be the larger point of the cartoon.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bet that brief gets read (or at least noticed) more than the others.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shannon Edmonds:
And because it was an amicus brief, he was at greater liberty to take a crack at the court's briefing limitations. THAT seemed to be the larger point of the cartoon.

Oh yeah, he zinged 'em. He showed that he believed his entire substantive argument could be made in a grand total of 74 speech bubbles. And that includes the ones with such scintillating arguments as "Yup" and "You got it!" In the future, I think I'd just give this particular attorney one page, as he obviously doesn't need any more than that if he can waste his pages with drawings instead of argument.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I think we may be missing the point. The literary world has seen the need for comic book versions of literary classics for the more, ah, reading challenged demographic. I've run into more than a couple of attorneys in this demographic...

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So a brief in heiroglyphics would be bad?

posted Hide Post
Thought 1: How much time would it take for me to prepare a cartoon brief, given my drawing skills?

Thought 2: This presentation was probably just fine, because it ended with "respectfully submitted." That counts for a lot.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is just so much wonderful material that can be grabbed off the internet now. Perhaps, a brief by collage would work.

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mime.

posted Hide Post
Why not a pop-up brief, then? Pull this tab and see how Brooks merges factual sufficiency review with legal sufficiency review. Or a constable in pops out of a carriage when you discuss U.S. v. Jones?

Why not origami?

posted Hide Post
Personally, I plan on submitting my next brief via interpretive dance.

posted Hide Post
Mime.

posted Hide Post
Finger-painting with vegetable juices on rice paper. The better for eating and reduces waste (well sort of). Smile

posted Hide Post
Newell, there's too much hassle involved with mime. Think of the time on the makeup, and that grease paint gets everywhere. You'll be finding little white flecks everywhere. Smile

posted Hide Post
With the new word count requirements, does a picture equal a thousand words?

Posts: 72 | Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA | Registered: December 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post