TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Reversal because Defendant's objections were sustained?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reversal because Defendant's objections were sustained? Login/Join 
posted
I have an appeal that I am working on and one of the points of error I am trying to wrap my head around how to answer.

Long story short - 2 statements were taken from witnesses and a letter. State moved to admit. Defense objected as to hearsay. It was sustained.
A little later, it appeared to become admissible state moved to admit. Defense objected and again sustained. Officer did state that statements were taken from the named witnesses.

Now the appeal is that defendant's constitutional rights were violated under fundemental fairness grounds. I have no clue where to start answering where the defendant won their objections and now want a new trial. Ideas? Seems to be a straight up 6th/14th due process argument.

Posts: 128 | Location: TX | Registered: March 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was any other relief requested during trial? If not, Appellant got requested relief, therefore, error is not preserved.

Posts: 52 | Location: Fort Worth | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mean, no error.

Posts: 52 | Location: Fort Worth | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Preservation -- he got the relief requested, so he can't complain about the court not doing something he didn't ask the court to do.

Merits -- The complained of evidence was never admitted (pursuant to D's objections). There can be no error in evidence that was not admitted.

Harm -- Because the evidence wasn't actually admitted, it can't possibly have caused any harm.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post