TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Citing Directly from Lexis/Westlaw
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Citing Directly from Lexis/Westlaw Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know how to properly cite from online searches like Lexis and Westlaw. I citing a statute in the Government Code but didn't know whether to cite to "Vernon's 20XX" or not.

And if I do cite to Vernon's, which volume? Westlaw refers to a "2009 Electronic Update", but also to the "2005 main volume". Any ideas?

Posts: 7 | Registered: August 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I decided long ago that fooling around with Vernon's is a big waste of time. (I think to do it right you need to track down a hardcopy of Vernon's and check whether the text is in the pocketpart.)

I just cite to the statute if it's current. FWIW, the Solicitor General's Office has apparently reached the same conclusion.

http://www.supreme.courts.state.tx.us/ebriefs/08/08041901.pdf

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also just cite to the statute, without a Vernon's cite, if I'm citing to the current version of it.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Solicitor General's approach makes a lot more sense, since there are now available many print and electronic sources of statutes other than the "black statutes." Plus, sooner or later, many of us will not have access to Vernon's, at least not the hardbound versions. Plus, who really cares where in Vernon's you find what you were citing, everyone always double-checks the pocket part anyway. The Texas Rules of Form should definitely be modified, and maybe if enough of us start ignoring the suggested citation form on this issue, they will be. Smile

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post