TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Word counts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Word counts Login/Join 
posted
You may, or may not, be surprised that different word processing programs also count words differently. Todd Smith, a Texas civil appellate attorney, put up the results of his comparison of four programs. http://www.texasappellatelawblog.com/

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first few readings of the rule led me to believe that the prayer was not included because it was part of the signature. I think we're now thinking that the prayer is included in the count. Anyone have other thoughts?

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've turned in a couple of briefs since I realized the rule change. I didn't count the prayer.

I also didn't realize until this week that we're supposed to put a word count on motions for extension of time.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the prayer isn't specifically excluded from the word count requirement rule (unlike the signature block), I include those words in my total count. See Tex. R. App. P. 9.4(i)(1).

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(i)(3) does seem to require a word count even for motions for extension -- but (i)(2) doesn't place a limit on the number of words in such a motion.

So there isn't really anything to comply with.

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post