TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Justices Gone Wild
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Justices Gone Wild Login/Join 
posted
There's an opinion article in the Wall Street Journal that makes some suggestions on how to reign in the Supreme Court. Interesing read, though I think it might be a little oversimplified, but I'm not sure.

Here's a link to the article.

Aside from the obvious failure to suggest of making AndreaW the next Supreme Court justice, what do you think of his suggestions to "fix" the Court?

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am just not bright enough to figure it out, but how would appointing new members to the court every 12 years make things LESS political?

Posts: 51 | Location: Montogmery County | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curious, when I pull up the article some bearded fellow is credited as "Susan Etheridge." Really??????? Is Susan now a boy's name too? When did that happen?

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know. I kind of felt the same thing. On the one hand, I like the way he looks at it as a super-Senate. But on the other hand, I don't think the solutions are that thought out.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, at first glance, I have to take issue with his premise that the supreme court is out of control because they overturn 10 state laws per year in the last 50 years as opposed to 4 per year at the time of the Civil War. Perhaps he should study a bit and learn that, amazingly enough, we now have more states (to make more laws) as well as more people (demanding more laws). A juvenile mistake for an important newspaper. Of course, his mistake may be due to relying on a Harvard law professor as a source.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he doesn't seem to account for the fact that the growth in reversals of federal laws may also correspond to a shift towards a centralized federal government. More federal laws, more federal laws that may or may not need reversing.

posted Hide Post
Maybe the boy named Sue's real whole first name was Susan.

Definitely crack reporting. Shouldn't an editor have realized the flaw in the reporter's premise?

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post