TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Padilla, Tanklevskaya and 11.072
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Padilla, Tanklevskaya and 11.072 Login/Join 
posted
It does not look like there has been any movement on the last Padilla thread in a few months, so I'll kick the tires this morning. So unless SCOTUS takes up the retroactivity issue at the beginning of the term or somehow the CCA figures out a way to resolve Tanklevskaya and others very quickly, right now this whole thing is still just a mess. I have one that is going to be due at the 1st COA pretty soon. How is everyone else arguing these at this point? Any ideas or pearls of wisdom on a Friday?

Posts: 119 | Location: Chambers County Texas | Registered: March 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The model brief I currently use is attached. You may also want to read the brief filed by the Solicitor General in Chaidez. Chaidez Brief

None of this will change your assessment of the situation as a mess.

PDF DocPadilla_Response.pdf (232 Kb, 32 downloads) Padilla Writ Response

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Martin. I hope everyone else that has one of these sitting on their desk right now will take advantage of your post.

Posts: 119 | Location: Chambers County Texas | Registered: March 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a mess. Basically right now we're just arguing that it shouldn't be retroactive and seeing what happens. Given that both the Supremes and the CCA have taken up the issue, I have a feeling the lower courts will be trying to sit on the issue for a while.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1st COA set Gomez v. State for an accelerated appeal and my brief is due on 1/18. I don't know if this means we are going to be any closer to a resolution on this issue or not, but I'll make sure to report back whatever the result.