TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Bluebook question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluebook question Login/Join 
posted
Anybody ever cited to a Google News search performed on a specific day for a specific term? I'd like to show that "militates" isn't the $2-term Appellant claims. A search brings up 46 hits dating back to June 30, including an opinion column in the Dallas Morning News.

My Bluebook has Rule 17.3.2, which is kinda on point, but I was hoping there's something better in more recent versions (mine was published in 1991 Frown).

Posts: 39 | Location: Crockett, Texas, USA | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not print out the results and include as an attachment?

John Bradley
District Attorney
Williamson County, Texas

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John,

I don't want appellant screaming I'm bringing in something outside the appellate record. If I can cite to it, I think that shuts him up. I've found a couple of cases where courts refer to the results of their own google searches, but they don't bother with a cite. Stealing from a footnote in a law journal article, I came up with this:

Google News, http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=&ie=UTF-8&q=militate (last visited August 2, 2006).

I like the one I made up better:

Search of www.news.google.com (August 2, 2006) (search for term �militates�)

Posts: 39 | Location: Crockett, Texas, USA | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, except that "www.news.google.com" is not the proper URL. Get rid of "www".

Posts: 143 | Location: Fort Worth | Registered: August 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smile