TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Habeas Challenge to '89 DWI Conviction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Habeas Challenge to '89 DWI Conviction Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone done a recent reply brief to a defendant challenging an old DWI conviction to avoid getting enhanced on a recent one? The defendant lost the habeas challenge at the trial court level and is now at the Court of Appeals. He has raised the willingness and voluntariness of the plea, whether defendant waived his right to counsel, and the defendant's right to appointed counsel based on his (recent) claim of indigency. On our side, we have one line in the judgment paperwork saying that the plea was voluntary and some rather dumb statements by the defendant at the habeas hearing. We have this one and another on the way, so I would like to see what other people have done. My email is cspainhour@wilco.org.

Thanks.

Posts: 27 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: March 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have the court reporter take down pleas?

John Bradley
District Attorney
Williamson County, Texas

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have the cases at hand, but to have a habeas on a misdemeanor, you must be presently incarcerated under CCP 11.09.

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think confinenment is required. Ex parte Schmidt, 109 S.W.3d 480 Tex.Crim.App.,2003.

Posts: 38 | Registered: January 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brother Merrit is correct. It is a convoluted opinion that never addresses why the statute really doesn't say what it says. Go figger.

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post