TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Plea after suppression?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plea after suppression? Login/Join 
posted
Okay. D is busted for POCS (Cocaine). Trial Court, at a suppression hearing, suppresses evidence. State files appeal.

Appeal is pending.

Now D wants to plead guilty. (Consience bothering him? Beats me.)

What, or is there a vehicle for getting the case back before the Trial Court.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Defendant must file voluntary dismissal of appeal with appellate court. Check Rules of Appellate Procedure. Must have his signature.

Then, mandate must issue before trial court has jurisdiction again. At plea, prosecutor should be sure to have defendant waive any claim regarding the suppression.

John Bradley
District Attorney
Williamson County, Texas

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think, if this is a State's appeal, that the trial court can act unless the State has invoked its right to a stay order. CCP 44.01(e). If such an order has been entered, I think the easiest thing to do would be to ask that the stay be dissolved so that the defendant can enter a plea.

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post