TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Tables of Authorites software?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tables of Authorites software? Login/Join 
posted
What is everyone using to generate their tables of authorities? When I was in Dallas County, we used to use Word's built-in table of authorities generator. Here in Collin County, we have Word, but our legal assistants use West's CiteLink to generate the tables. West is now telling us that CiteLink will be phased out and that we should buy Cite Advisor for $2100 per year.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MS Word, as you suggest, has an excellent table of authorities generator. That's what we use.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MS Word too. But we subsribe to LEXIS and it also has a software program you can use.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our secretaries use a product called "Full Authority" that they seem to like better than Word. I just make my Table of Authorities manually.

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use Word's table...however, it always comes up with odd fonts and spacing. I then have to go through and fix that.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use Word, which as noted above can have a few formatting glitches. It helps with federal appellate preparation, since you have to include a word count.

I was dragged into using Word kicking and screaming, as we used to use Word Perfect, and I found its table generators (at least at the time) to be more user friendly.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when I was writing lots of appellate briefs in my ALR days, I used Word Perfect which on the whole I liked MUCH better than Word. The TOA generator was better and easier to use, and the "reveal formats" function was incredibly helpful to get rid of odd formating glitches. Fortunately, I dont' do briefs anymore because my agency uses Word as its standard word processor. I do have an old 2003 Word Perfect program installed on my computer, but they won't update so I principally use it to read opinions coming out of the Fifth Circuit.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Janette you are right. I have always found the Wordperfect TOA generator better and generally Wordperfect to be better formatting appeal briefs, motions, other pleadings, etc. In the past few years though I have found it even quicker to do the TOA manually. When writing the Argument I paste the cite into the TOA alphebetically and then print a draft of the brief and just insert the proper page numbers on the TOA as I go through. Quicker and less hassle.

Posts: 14 | Location: Coldspring, San Jacinto County, Texas, USA | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In your wake in Dallas, JRo, we played with the Lexis and Westlaw ones -- honestly, neither was near as good as Word. Sadly, there seems to be no good way but the old-fashioned one to consistently create correct tables [say that 4 times fast on Friday afternoon]. Word or WP, depending on which software you 'grew up' using, reign supreme here if you ask me.

Posts: 13 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: January 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now Cory, you better stop creating new nicknames for me or I'll have to fire you retroactively.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me chime in on behalf of the WordPerfect generator. Heck, on WordPerfect in general. I've used it for years so, yes, I'm biased, but it is a better formatting and editing tool, by eons, than Word. The generator sets up both the table of contents and the table of authorities with no muss no fuss. Why IT people feel MSWord is worthy of support but not WP, I'll never know. Of course, they never write briefs!!

Posts: 105 | Location: Marshall, Texas, Harrison | Registered: February 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our office IMS person just update my Microsoft Office to the 2007 version. It's quite a bit different than the 2003 version, so I am going to play with TOA generator and see if Microsoft has improved it. Something to do when things slow down.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree about WP - much eaiser to use. More user friendly. When I worked at the AG's office that is what we used - maybe because our briefs went to federal courts and word had multiple problems with word count then. Have heard that MS fixed the word count problem - but am not sure about that. I still use 2003 MS And still have not figured out how to do everything yet - apparently we do not have any books to explain how it works, so my ToC is not always perfrectly lined up.

Posts: 419 | Location: Abilene, TX USA | Registered: December 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$2100 per year? I guess that is how West (i.e. Thomson, i.e. Reuters) can afford the flashy ad on the back of the bar journal.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post