TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Publication Updates    Upcoming book: Confessions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upcoming book: Confessions Login/Join

posted
Appellate star John Stride from Collin County is feverishly working on a book on confession law in Texas for publication in summer 2004. I'm attaching the working table of contents for your consideration and review.

We'd love any comments or questions you have about the book's contents. Please e-mail me (beckham@tdcaa.com) or post any topics you'd like to see covered in the new book. Or use this forum to post any confessions-related questions for John, TDCAA staff, and all other interested people to ponder. Your question and its answer may find its way into the new confessions book! (Which should get you, at the very least, your very own TDCAA window decal!)

Word DocCONFESSION_LAW_proposal.doc (28 Kb, 68 downloads) Confessions table of contents

Posts: 115 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: November 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest an apppendix with forms for a written confession and one for the exact warnings needed for a videotaped interview of a person in custody. It would be wonderful to have a "statewide" form that is correct instead of some old ones that never seem to change because they have always been used. Some police agencies order confession and warning forms from out-of-state and they have the correct Miranda warnings but do not have the correct Art. 38.22 warnings!

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Consider it done.

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would probably help many smaller jurisdictions if you included specific forms and guidelines for juvenile cases.

Posts: 59 | Location: Tyler, Texas | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll see if I can put something together. Standardized forms and procedures would really help.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any forms or written procedures they employ when obtaining juvenile (or adult) confessions--especially if unique in some way--please share them. It would be worthwhile to include a selection, or at least ideas from them, in the book.

My address: 210 S. McDonald, Ste 324, McKinney, Tx 75069

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post