TDCAA Community
Vote for the next TDCAA publication

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7173011657/m/3753040567

August 18, 2004, 09:18
Scott Brumley
Vote for the next TDCAA publication
Some in my office already have speculated that the employment law book will be a work of fiction. I plan to fire them on January 2.
August 18, 2004, 13:25
Diane Beckham
Ken, thanks a bunch. I have a great job!

Although today, when I'm struggling to write a section of the "traffic stops" book on geographic jurisdiction of municipal officers & authority to make stops, it all seems fictional.

Cookbooks, anyone??
August 19, 2004, 15:51
John Dodson
I had a defense attorney in court this week who was carrying a copy of Richard Alpert's book on DWI Investigation and Prosecution. He said he picked it up at a seminar on DWI defense.
September 09, 2004, 09:29
Diane Beckham
Yep, quite a few defense attorneys buy our publications, and we're happy for the sales and the exposure. We want everyone in the criminal justice world to feel like they can't live without our latest publication. That's one of the reasons we try to keep the tone and the advice even-handed in all of our publications. Some of the sales come through law school book stores, which buy (and stock) our books for classes. (One book store in San Antonio routinely buys some of everything we sell and resells at legal seminars around the state.)
September 09, 2004, 11:33
JohnR
quote:
Originally posted by Diane Beckham:
That's one of the reasons we try to keep the tone and the advice even-handed in all of our publications.
Oops. I'll try better next time. Wink
September 30, 2004, 16:07
Leslie Standerfer
Diane, if you are searching for an agency to co-publish an update on this, you might contact Larry Gray at Texas and Southwest Cattle Raisers, or Gene Snelson, who is general counsel at the Animal Health Commission
October 01, 2004, 10:16
Diane Beckham
Thanks Leslie! I'll give them a call. We continue to be amazed by the number of requests we get for the livestock law update.
January 19, 2005, 09:54
C. Allen
There was mention in this thread of the potential for a new TDCAA book on juveniles. Is this in the works, completed, on hold . . .
January 19, 2005, 13:45
Diane Beckham
In the works and getting really close. The chapters are about 3/4 done right now. We should have a book printed and ready to sell by early May, if not before.

Any specific subjects you'd like to see covered in that juvenile book?
January 20, 2005, 06:51
Lisa Peterson
I have wanted TDCAA to do a book on juvenile law for quite awhile. Can't help but also wish we would get into education on that subject. I attend the annual seminar put on by the Juv Law Section, and get really weary of the prosecutor bashing.............. Mad

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney
June 30, 2005, 10:21
C. Allen
any breaking news on the juvenile book that has been in the works?
June 30, 2005, 17:12
Diane Beckham
We were ready to go with the book at the beginning of May but decided it would be kind of crazy to publish that close to legislative updates. So the authors have been digesting the changes made by HB 1575 and other bills to incorporate any changes into the existing manuscript. As soon as I get the PC/CCP books to the printer (late this week/early next), we'll turn back to getting the juvenile book ready to go.

That's the long story to say, should be out by early August.
September 22, 2005, 21:23
Boyd Kennedy
Hi Diane! I'm sure Gene Snelson and I could put together a dynamite livestock and wildlife law book. If there is enough interest.
September 23, 2005, 11:13
APorter
Would you include a chapter on noodling?

It seems some of my neighbors on the other side of the building (which mean's they're technically in the state of Arkansas) could use a good treatise on the subject.

Besides, it would make fun reading for A.P.
October 08, 2008, 12:08
CristianStar
Have you ever considered a drug treatment buddy? We are talking serious things here and maybe you thought that fiction stories ar funny... Let me tell you a fiction story, but the amazing part is that the fiction part is real: a drug addict on heroine does not have money to buy his daily dose and strangles a high-school student with the hope to get some money... Is it fiction enough for you?
October 08, 2008, 12:44
JB
Was that our first international poster?
October 08, 2008, 21:09
Martin Peterson
Almost surely our first Romanian psychologist.
October 09, 2008, 08:54
A.P. Merillat
Actually, probably not our first international - seems like I remember someone from Louisiana and maybe even as far remote as Splendora, writing here a time or two. But it does take a village.
Exit only.
October 14, 2008, 15:57
Prezas
Any updates on the juvenile book? Given the bent of the state bar juvenile CLE mentioned above, the lack of an unpdated dawson book, and the lack of definitive juvenile authority in general, the TDCAA volume would prove helpful to alot of us.
October 15, 2008, 09:18
Diane Beckham
Actually, the new edition of the Dawson book is out. Chris Hubner, the co-author of TDCAA's juvenile book, has taken over updating of Prof. Dawson's book for TJPC. The 7th edition was published in August 2008. Meanwhile, though, we are working on updating TDCAA's juvenile book, which is geared more toward prosecutors than the Dawson manual. We hope to have it finished in early 2009.