TDCAA Community
Cash No Good

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/1383023807

March 27, 2003, 19:07
JB
Cash No Good
AG Abbott has issued an opinion that a cash percentage bond is against the law. For details, go to opinion.

Gee, is anyone violating the law out there? Doesn't Travis County have an entire office based on the cash percentage bond?

Isn't there a bill filed this session that would make cash percentage bonds legal (even though everyone is already doing it)?
March 27, 2003, 20:58
Martin Peterson
As I mentioned in a much earlier thread, our district judge specifically suggested (encouraged) that a 15% cash deposit bond be utilized by our sheriffs as a mechanism for funding the appointment of counsel (he wants to trap the funds to reimburse the county at the end of the case). In my opinion this illegal practice will stop only when the law changes (no longer illegal), or when some defendant successfully challenges the forfeiture of the cash deposit (on the basis the bond was illegal). The bail bondsmen have consistently won out on this issue except where it counts-- at the jailhouse door.
March 28, 2003, 06:42
JB
And the conflict of interest created by that practice is, in my opinion, enormous. How many times have we suggested that the defendant convert the cash bond into the means to pay for a fine, only to have the defense attorney decline, claiming it as his fee?
March 28, 2003, 13:46
Martin Peterson
Yup. And, of course, aside from the "prior assignment" to the attorney issue, you will have the cash posted by a third party, who will certainly claim he did not intend to donate his funds to the defendant or anyone else. I will be surprised if the bondsmen let the new proposal become law, especially in light of the recent victory with the AG.