TDCAA Community
limitations on grand jury subpoena??

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/1811016702

June 30, 2010, 12:33
Rachel Patton
limitations on grand jury subpoena??
Is there any reason why a grand jury subpoena is not sufficient to obtain medical records from a methadone clinic for a potential defendant? The defendant is, according to her, prescribed methadone for pain, not substance abuse.

The clinic in question is demanding a court order.

Defendant's two and a half year old son injested the methadone and nearly died. (As an aside, we believe that mom and dad intentionally gave the baby the methadone.)

thanks a bunch
rachel
June 30, 2010, 13:45
LAS
I had someone at MHMR tell me that last week -- I told her to contact their attorney. She told me that's who told her she needed a court order. I told her to have the attorney call me. I got the records the next day. Look up HIPPA FAQs.
June 30, 2010, 14:49
Rachel Patton
Thats kinda what I thought.
Thanks!
June 30, 2010, 15:01
Andrea W
It's right there in the statute -- HIPAA authorizes release of records for law enforcement purposes pursuant to a grand jury subpoena. See 45 CFR sec. 164.512(f)(1)(ii)(B). There are also other ways of getting it, but a grand jury subpoena is specifically listed.
April 09, 2013, 12:29
R. Scott McKee
New wrinkle on old thread:

HIPPA may authorize a grand jury subpoena for medical records. However, see TX.Occupations Code Chapter 159.

159.003 (a)(10) and 159.003(c)

Anyone dealing with this with MTS of Grand Jury Subpoenas?
April 09, 2013, 12:32
R. Scott McKee
Furthermore.....See 159.003 (b) "This section does not authorize the release of confidential information to investigate or substantiate criminal charges against a patient".
April 09, 2013, 13:45
JJ
Sec. 159.003(a)(10) should be read as follows: An exception to the privilege of confidentiality in a court or administrative proceeding exists in a criminal prosecution in which the patient is a victim, witness, or defendant. So, once a person is a defendant there is no priviledge, right?

Also, while this section itself does not authorize the release of confidential information --a grand jury subpoea will.
April 09, 2013, 23:00
R. Scott McKee
But look at subsection (c) concerning the in camera inspection.
April 11, 2013, 07:52
JohnR
I think there is an argument about the validity of that Occ Code section.I'm out of the office today but I might have something back at the office.