TDCAA Community
Bond Condition

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/2421054171

July 14, 2008, 15:55
Mark Edwards
Bond Condition
We have a case where husband shot (but did not kill) wife and wife's boyfriend. We are thinking about making a bond condition where he has to turn all his guns over to the Sheriff's Office. Has anyone ever done this?
July 15, 2008, 08:06
Larry L
You might look at the "standard" probation condition that the defendant not use, possess, or have under his control any firearm or deadly weapon. The victim may want to seek a protective order that could accomplish the same thing. I realize that having him turn them over to the sheriff is a little different, and maybe it feels better to have him actually turn them in, but of course you still don't know if he has turned in ALL of his guns. And there is always the possibility that he claims that a gun was damaged, scratched, or whatever while in the possession of the sheriff. In summary though, it seems like a reasonable condition of the bond.
July 15, 2008, 14:07
Stephanie Stephens
I had a murder case where the judge had ordered all his firearms turned over to his attorney as a condition of his bond. Sounds great, but I later got his bond revoked for displaying his handgun at someone during a dispute...twice. These criminals these days just can't be trusted!
July 15, 2008, 15:58
John Greenwood
Get a protective order! Then if he does not get rid of the guns he has violated the protective order and you can seek a bond revocation. Most Defense Attorneys love this because they typically take the guns for "safe keeping" or in other words a fee.