TDCAA Community
Hot Check Administrative Fee

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/2701094101

November 01, 2005, 10:51
Ken Sparks
Hot Check Administrative Fee
CCP Art. 102.072 authorizes officers listed in Art. 103.003, which includes District and County Attorneys, to collect a $2.00 fee for each transaction relating to the collection of fines, fees, restitution, or other costs imposed by a court. Would this apply to hot check collections? Are any of you charging the $2.00 fee in addition to the other statutory amounts on hot checks?
November 01, 2005, 13:37
jsboone
Most of our restitution payments are in lieu of filing the case in court, so those payments are not "imposed by a court".

With regard to post-filing payments of restitution, we have not been collecting the extra $2. I had not read Article 102.072 until yesterday, when a prosecutor from another county pointed it out to me.

If our position changes, I will let you know.
November 01, 2005, 14:52
Rick Miller
Bell County is collecting the $2 transaction fee with each visit to the Hot Check Department for payment.
November 01, 2005, 15:28
Wesley Wittig
I knew I started something when no one had seen that particular provision. Everyone I called had not seen it or was not collecting it. I found an old letter from our county's budget officer indicating the fee should go into the general fund as opposed to the check division. I didn't see any language on that though.