TDCAA Community
Haystack Arson

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/2963044167

December 12, 2003, 11:51
A. Walker.
Haystack Arson
I have a case where a person set fire to a haystack outside of the city limits. To get an arson charge, does anyone know if there is law on point about whether a haystack in an open field is "any vegetation" under 28.02(a)(1)?
December 12, 2003, 12:37
Martin Peterson
The burning of hay was not arson at the common law. Many arson statutes over time have specifically mentioned haystacks. Many courts have treated hay as being a form of vegetation in other contexts. The term as used in 28.02(a)(1) has not been construed by a Texas appellate court to my knowledge. Whether the statute was specifically designed to replace the old wilfull burning statute (art. 1318 of the 1925 code) is, I think, a good question. To be safe, be sure to allege criminal mischief as an alternative.
December 12, 2003, 13:10
Stacey L. Brownlee
I had an arson case involing 2 juvis setting fire to 40 round bales. I called the Ag Department at A&M and eventually found their "grass and hay expert" and he was willing to come in and testify that hay was vegetation. I'll see if I can find his name for you or if you're in a hurry just call TAMU, they were VERY helpful, even for a t-sip.
December 12, 2003, 14:10
A. Walker.
Thank you both very much. Any possible trial is a ways off. If I need an expert, I'll look to the Aggies.