TDCAA Community
Posting pics of shoplifters

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/3431010991

October 26, 2009, 06:48
Scott M. Tidwell
Posting pics of shoplifters
I practice in a small county. We have another small town 20 miles South in another county. There is a group of shoplifters who have worn out their welcome in the neighboring town and are traveling to my County. My LE want to post pics of these "traveling shoppers" on local stores advising people to watch for them. Is this a problem?
October 26, 2009, 06:59
Gretchen
I assume they've been previously convicted? Their mugshots are probably on the internet somewhere, their convictions are public record, and what privacy right do they have in a public place? You wouldn't be posting pictures of people simply suspected of shoplifting (and therefore running into a possible defamation claim). And what is wrong with keeping a closer eye on known shoplifters? Isn't that why they're leaving their old town - they were being watched?

I'd love to see others weigh in on this.
October 26, 2009, 07:16
rk
We have one of the best places on the planet for chicken piccata. They accept checks. They also post the names of people who wrote them a hot check. The names are right behind the cash register for everyone to see.

I don't know how that's any different than what you're dealing with....I think Gretchen has it right.
October 27, 2009, 07:48
xochitl
Dibellas.
October 27, 2009, 08:00
JohnW
Is this any different than the places that display hot checks right next to the cash register?
October 27, 2009, 08:31
Ken Sparks
I would never advise a merchant that it is permissible to post hot checks on the wall for all to see. The crook could always sue and the merchant would not look kindly on your advice. If a check writer has a conviction, that would be a different matter.
October 27, 2009, 08:57
rk
I was thinking of Gus'.