TDCAA Community
Defending While Prosecuting

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/4241045091

June 02, 2009, 08:40
JB
Defending While Prosecuting
The AG issued an opinion, answering the question as to whether a prosecutor can work as a defense attorney. To read the opinion, click here.

How does this impact your office or job?
June 03, 2009, 09:34
Terry Breen
Whether it is legal or not, it just seems like a conflict of interest to me. I often call on out of county prosecutors for help or to coordinate a case against a common crook, and I take it for granted that the fellow I'm talking to is on the same side.
June 03, 2009, 10:10
Ken Sparks
No impact here since I do not allow it. However, in small counties with small salaries, it may be necessary to make a living.
June 03, 2009, 11:22
AlexLayman
Could it also work in reverse? What I'm trying to say is... perhaps if the county commissioners court won't pay for another full-time prosecutor you could get some part-time help from a defense attorney in a neighboring county, maybe even you could hire a former ADA to help.
June 03, 2009, 13:58
John Greenwood
So an assistant district or county attorney w/ a license to carry a concealed handgun goes to a neighboring county courthouse to defend a criminal case with a pistol in their briefcase, does Sec. 46.03 apply or not?
June 03, 2009, 14:08
JB
Ooh. Good one. And, when he gets home, can he file on himself?
June 03, 2009, 15:58
JohnW
But he can defend himself, too. Can't wait to hear closing arguments.
June 03, 2009, 16:06
JB
I would recommend that I get deferred prosecution. And, if I wouldn't accept that, I would file a motion to disqualify myself. Then, I would reset the case for a long, long time.