TDCAA Community
Enforcement of City Ordinances

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/435106033

July 07, 2005, 22:20
Shane Hadaway
Enforcement of City Ordinances
We have a town in our county that does not have any city police officers. The city council has asked the Sheriff and/or the Deputy Sheriff to enforce the city ordinances. Does the Sheriff and/or the Deputy Sheriff have the authority to enforce the city ordinances? If not, who has the authority to enforce the ordinances?
July 08, 2005, 07:56
Lisa Peterson
It seems to me that the deputies and sheriff could enforce ordinances that had to do with traffic, peace, and other things that could be Class C misdemeanors. Ordinances dealing with number of pets, building standards and the like, probably not. Since cities have more power to "create" than counties, I think I would ask for an intergov agreement between the city and county requesting / allowing the service.

Next question - where do the violators go? Is there a city court or to your JP?
July 08, 2005, 09:04
Clay A.
Ordinance cases must go to the Muni court, no muni court; no enforcable ordinances. Arrest and citations can be by any peace officer. I would still reccomend an interlocal agreement. The Sheriff is under no obligation to serve the municipality enforcing ordinances. Perhaps the Sheriff will suggest if the city wants a lot of local ordinance support a police department would be nice.
July 08, 2005, 11:37
L.J. Griffin
I don't thank the Sheriff or deputies can enforce city ordinances. walk across the hall an I will tell you about ordinances when I was a Sheriff.