TDCAA Community
Basic Info that I can't find right now!

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/4691064502

March 29, 2010, 12:41
Larry L
Basic Info that I can't find right now!
The problem is there is a defense attorney who will sometimes (frequently enough that I am resorting to this forum) file motions and not serve them on the prosecution. In drafting a motion for sanctions, WHERE is the requirement that all pleadings in a criminal case be served on the opposing party / counsel? The civil rule (21) is easy to find, but I can't find the criminal case equivalent, only the rules re: service of the indictment, etc. ... please help.
March 29, 2010, 12:50
JB
Do you have local rules that require such service?

In the absence of an express rule of procedure, common law prevails. Tex. Code Crim. Pro. art. 1.27.
March 29, 2010, 12:55
Larry L
No local rule, but I could have sworn I saw this in the CCP somewhere a few years ago... thought my age was starting to cause memory loss. Thanks JB.
March 29, 2010, 14:23
JohnR
You are thinking of Article 1.052 (b) & (e).
March 29, 2010, 15:01
JB
Have to wonder if failure to serve the State creates an ethical violation. Sort of an ex parte communication?
March 29, 2010, 15:06
Larry L
I looked at CCP 1.052 (b) and (e) before my initial post, but could not find a specific requirement for SERVICE, only for signing, good faith, etc. Motion for sanctions will argue common law violation. And yes, definitely an ex parte communication to obtain an order on a motion without any hearing, without opposing party getting a copy of the motion, and without any notice of a hearing. Thanks again.
March 29, 2010, 15:13
JB
A lawyer shall not:

(b) except as otherwise permitted by law and not prohibited by applicable rules of practice or procedure, communicate or cause another to communicate ex parte with a tribunal for the purpose of influencing that entity or person concerning a pending matter other than:

(2) in writing if he promptly delivers a copy of the writing to opposing counsel or the adverse party if he is not represented by a lawyer.
March 29, 2010, 16:24
E. Foley
Those basic "Well, everyone knows THAT" issues are always the hardest to look up--my sympathies are with you!
March 30, 2010, 08:45
Versel
I admit it has been quite a few years since I did criminal defense but I remember always doing a certificate of service (just like civil). If your defense attorney is doing a certificate of service and signing it and then NOT serving it, seems that you can get him with that.