TDCAA Community
Proving up a license suspension in DWLI trial

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/4777061316

March 13, 2014, 16:05
Matt Heermans
Proving up a license suspension in DWLI trial
I am trying a DWLI coming up shortly, and I have the certified Judgment of prior DWLI conviction. I also need to prove up the license suspension at time of the offense. Anyone ever tried one of these? Do I need a certified driving record from DPS?
March 14, 2014, 08:28
ekquisenberry
Yes, you need to request the certified DL packet through DPS. Also, if you have a DPS Trooper in your area who is a custodian of records for DL information, you can elicit that testimony through that trooper on the stand. I don't like to call ours, but there have been times where a trial has snuck up on us and we haven't been able to get the packet from DPS in time.
March 14, 2014, 09:49
GMcDonald
DPS has deputy custodians of records in each region. Issue a subpoena duces tecum to Joyce Stevens the Custodian of Driver Records at TXDPS in Austin, at the 5805 N Lamar Address for a Certified Abstract for Law Enforcement Driving REcord, including fingerprints and the original application. Also send a subpoena directing her or her deputy to appear for trial. DPS will send the records and a local custodian from the DL office to testify if required.
March 14, 2014, 13:31
Matt Heermans
Awesome y'all, thanks.
March 14, 2014, 16:24
J Ansolabehere
Joyce Stevens is no longer with the Department. Law enforcement and prosecutors may obtain the certfied DL packet by serving the Department with a subpoena duces tecum by mail or fax as follows:

Joeanne Mastracchio
Custodian of Records
Driver Records
Texas Department of Public Safety
5805 North Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78752

or by fax to:

Joeanne Mastracchio
Custodian of Records
Driver Records
Texas Department of Public Safety
Fax number: 512-424-5190
March 21, 2014, 13:59
Matt Heermans
I was actually told to submit a DR-1 form to DPS requesting a DWLI packet. Apparently these come with a letter of certification, which supposedly makes them admissible. This is after a long talk with a helpful records clerk at DPS.