TDCAA Community
Early Termination for Sex Offender

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/5651097351

August 07, 2007, 16:09
CC
Early Termination for Sex Offender
I know that a sex-offender's probation cannot be terminated early during the original term of probation. However, if the sex-offender's original probation term (ex: 10 years) is modified to include an extension (ex: add 5 years for a total of 15 years), then can his extended term be terminated early (but after the original term has expired - ex: at 12 years)? The probation department has no problem letting this guy terminate early, but we want to make sure that we are not violating any laws. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
August 08, 2007, 14:02
WHM
Absent a court ruling to the contrary, I would guess no. The provision permitting reduction of the term specifically excludes such cases from those in which the judge can release early. Arguably, if the leg intended for the court to have the authority to release sex offenders early, they would have said so. Since every other provision dealing with such cases prohibits early termination, I wouldn't do it.

The court can, presumably, release the defendant from most of the onus of probation, however, by simply modifying the terms. I.e., the judge can remove the conditions requiring reporting to an officer, paying monthly fees, remain in the county, etc. Unless he commits another crime, he'd essentially be "off" probation in all but name.