TDCAA Community
Fingerprint Experts

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/6171058822

October 17, 2011, 16:10
nlostracco
Fingerprint Experts
Do any DA's Offices use their own investigators as fingerprint experts, for pen packs, prior judgments, etc, in trial?
October 18, 2011, 12:08
JohnR
Collin County does for priors and such. In Dallas Co., the Sheriff had two deputies who were qualified to do that. That separation is a good thing, in my opinion. But, having those guys in your office can help you catch priors with problem prints earlier in the process.
October 18, 2011, 13:21
Brody V. Burks
We use an investigator in our office and a detective from the SO. Our investigator takes a look at it and lets us know if we can make the match and takes care of cases where there is truly a question of identity, and then we have the detective available if there's a question about the separation of duties issue.
October 19, 2011, 10:07
A.P. Merillat
Our office has used our own investigators to prove up pen packets, etc. through fingerprints since 1984.
October 19, 2011, 10:34
Tim
I have an investigator certified to do prints. I use him as a backup in the event the SO witness is not available. Pen packs are pretty simple matters if the packet has a photo of the defendant along with the prints. I don't think using an investigator as a witness in this manner is subject to a built-in bias argument any more than an investigator for my office testifying on any other issue such as taking a confession, etc.