TDCAA Community
Minimum Term for Deferred Adjudication

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/6221057951

January 30, 2008, 11:26
jbagnall
Minimum Term for Deferred Adjudication
Simple question: can you place a person, charged with a felony, on deferred adjudication for 1 year?

Art. 42.12, Sec.3 states that in a felony case the minimum length of community supervision is the same as the minimum term of imprisonment.

Art. 42.12, Sec.5 states that in a felony case, the community supervision may not exceed 10 years.

The way I read these, and also "The Perfect Plea", is that Sec.3 addresses straight probation and Sec.5 addresses deferred adjudication.

Any all input is welcome.

JAMIE
January 30, 2008, 12:03
Larry L
At least we have done that in exceptional cases in the counties where I have prosecuted. I have not looked in a while, but as I recall our office tried to find a statutory provision re: minimum period of a deferred, and could not find anything. I have heard of (but not seen) a case where the defendant was placed on a short deferred, made total restitution within a couple of months and was granted "early release". Unlike "regular" probation, I do not think there is ANY minimum period for deferred adjudication.
January 30, 2008, 12:27
JB
There is no minimum time period for deferred adjudication supervision.
January 30, 2008, 13:09
Shannon Edmonds
quote:
Originally posted by Larry L:
Unlike "regular" probation, I do not think there is ANY minimum period for deferred adjudication.

That is also correct.