TDCAA Community
Taking a License

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/6363068437

August 02, 2003, 14:28
JB
Taking a License
Does your office have a policy regarding taking a peace officer license in connection with prosecuting the officer?
August 04, 2003, 15:59
Rick Miller
John, I haven't gone for the license directly; I believe that is the province of the hiring agency unless part of a plea agreement. What I have done is determine to what degree the pending charge, where the evidence is substantial, affects the credibility of the officer as a witness where the officer played a key investigative role. I will advise the police agency that I cannot accept cases where the officer is a major witness, and we also screen pending cases where the officer is a key witness and either work a better plea agreement or dismiss those that cannot be otherwise proven without the officer's testimony. It is drastic, but likely necessary. Fortunately, we have not had many of these.
August 05, 2003, 08:44
Randal Lee
I usually simply proceed with the case and at the conclusion notify all interested parties.(the agency in which he is employed and TCLOSE. In one case I allowed an officer surrender his license in lieu of prosecuton. I understand this will permanently prohibit him from getting his certification back.