TDCAA Community
BAC translation...

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/6651099502

April 22, 2010, 11:41
Lisa Peterson
BAC translation...
Finally got the blood work after an accident - shows 364 HC mg/dL - - -what does this mean? (aside from intoxicated person driving a Mule and hitting a train....)

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney
April 22, 2010, 11:50
Clay A.
It is a mathmatically equivalent of the normal BAC ratio. So you have a real high BAC,.364 but it is serum not whole blood. See page 51 of the Intoxication Manslaughter book for a deeper explaination. With the simple conversion formula there you have a .31 BAC.

Although you can (as I just did) make a quick conversion you will need an expert to do it in front of the jury. Hospital or DPS lab folks are both good choices.
April 22, 2010, 12:53
Lisa Peterson
Thanks, Clay....why I have a legally blind man driving a mule (don't go there...) and hitting a moving train is beyond me....

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney
April 22, 2010, 13:48
hidalgoada
Sounds like the start of a country song that A.P. and banjo could make a hit.
April 22, 2010, 14:21
Forensicscientist
But what's the mules' BAC?
April 22, 2010, 14:31
Lisa Peterson
if I add that the defendant told the troopers that he was headed to sight in his rifle? So - we have an intoxicated, legally blind man driving a Mule en route to sight in a firearm hitting a moving freight train...

Scott....where's Scott!!!

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney
April 22, 2010, 15:19
Robert S. DuBoise
When you add the rifle sighting into the story--you're talking top 10 hit, gold (possibly even platinum) record.