TDCAA Community
Would this fly in Texas?

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/6951044521

March 28, 2006, 15:45
JB
Would this fly in Texas?
S.C. BILL: EXECUTE 2-TIME MOLESTERS
Some S.C. legislators want to execute twice-convicted child molesters, and experts say such a law could be upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.

"This is a historic moment for South Carolina to step forward and force the Supreme Court's hand," said Sen. David Thomas, R-Greenville, who is supporting a bill that could make the state the second -- behind Louisiana -- to allow the death penalty for a crime other than murder. "We have changed as a nation since the 1970s when the court last addressed the constitutionality of capital punishment for a sex crime. It's a horror -- someone who twice rapes a young child -- they deserve a death sentence."

Thomas, an attorney, said he believes recent additions to the high court -- Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito -- mean it "may rule other than `life for life.' "

Today, S.C. Attorney General Henry McMaster will address a Senate Judiciary Committee's concerns about the constitutionality of such a law.

"I'm going to give the General Assembly a green light on passing this law because we need this to protect our children and to deter these sexual predators," McMaster said late Monday.
March 28, 2006, 16:28
TDohoney
Based upon research showing high recidivism and that some pedophiles are incapable of rehabilitation, I think a number of people would think that the DP is even more appropriate for some of these cases. Makes me think back on those old Jim Mattox/AG race commercials discussing the fact that at least one murderer was deterred. We've all seen kid cases where defendants have victims in the double-digits (that we know about) -- there's some potential deterrence for you!
March 29, 2006, 08:30
Trey Hill
Personally as a citizen, I would definitely support the availability of the death penalty for child molesters. I often wonder, whatwould I do, were some scumbag to molest my own daughter. Knowing what I know about "the system", my inclination would be to hunt the perpetrator down & kill him myself.
March 29, 2006, 08:31
LH
I'm sure an overwhelming majority of the public here in Texas would support it.
March 29, 2006, 08:57
JB
It sure seems like we would have to change the special issues, particularly the future dangerousness one. How do you argue a sex offender is a future danger if he is subjected to life without parole? Do we get into prison sex?

I have begun to wonder whether the future dangerousness issue should be dropped for any capital case. What purpose does it serve anymore?

And, if I recall, liberals have been criticizing it for a long time, alleging that no one can predict future dangerousness. So, why not just focus on moral culpability through the aggravation/mitigation special issue?
March 29, 2006, 13:55
LH
But what would Dr. Mark Cunningham do for a living then, John?