TDCAA Community
Does D giving false name to magistrate = Aggravated Perjury?

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/7171034311

January 11, 2006, 10:48
e sainz
Does D giving false name to magistrate = Aggravated Perjury?
Just a few minutes ago, I got a phone call from one of our local investigators. He wants to file Agg Perjury charges on a guy who gave a false name to the JP who magistrated him. He wanted to know if he should go under "official proceeding" or "court" on the complaint -- he was looking at his charging manual. After hanging up with him, I did a quick search on Lexis & didn't find any cases out there that look like this set of facts.
I have a couple of questions: 1) Is being magistrated an "official proceeding"? 2) Is giving a false name "material"? Someone out there must have dealt with this before, so I look forward to a flood of replies, and I'll be really grateful for one really good one.
January 11, 2006, 13:44
JB
We have handled those as Tampering with a Government Record by focusing on false entries on such documents as booking sheets. Or, you can look at Securing Execution of a Document by Deception (the bond). Aggravated perjury would be the hardest.
January 11, 2006, 15:59
e sainz
I didn't know this before, but the guy gave a false name to magistrate & bonded out. How about an escape charge? Is that the kind of situation you've had before?

Now, do you think the agg perjury is harder to prove because of the "official proceeding" or the "materiality" or something else?
January 11, 2006, 17:25
Rudy Flores
If anyone will be harmed or defrauded as a result of his use of a false name and ID info this may work; SJF.