TDCAA Community
22.021(B) Ag Sex Assault

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/7271094831

October 18, 2006, 11:49
JMH
22.021(B) Ag Sex Assault
Filing a juvi. case for Ag.Sex Assault and was wondering about the difference b/t (a)(1)(B) - (ii) and (v). I know that (ii) requires actual penetration of the mouth by the actor, and (v) only requires contact with the mouth by a person including the actor.

My question is why would you file it under (ii)? It would seem obvious that if (ii) fits, then (v) would as well (not necessarily the other way around). Aren't you makeing it harder on yourself by going the(ii) route when the (v) avenue would work? Contact seems easier to prove and it doesn't epelevate it.
October 18, 2006, 14:06
Ken Sparks
I believe (v) was originally designed to apply when the mouth of the child comes into contact with the sexual organ of a female, but with the way it is written, it could be used in your case as well.
October 18, 2006, 14:28
Sammy McCrary
File it both ways. They are both alternative means of committing a single offense of aggravated sexual assault. Then, in the court's charge, you charge the alternative means in the disjunctive. The jury can convict if they believe that either one occurred.

See Croft v. State, 148 S.W.3d 533 (Tex.App.--Houston [14th Dist.] 2004)