TDCAA Community
Chain of Custody Affidavit

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/769103323

May 02, 2005, 13:42
Mark Edwards
Chain of Custody Affidavit
Has anyone encountered any problems using the chain of custody affidavit? Any wording changes suggested?
June 02, 2005, 14:25
J.L.H.
I started one time to try to use that for DWI blood results. I decided that it was too risky to not have the state paid chemist there in person. Jim Thomas, the DPS chemist makes a good impression on the jury so why not take advantage of that. If there is a snag in the affidavit process them my whole case falls apart.

This was right after the statute was passed. I also encountered folks at the DPS lab that were, at that time, clueless about the whole process. John Hutchison CA
June 03, 2005, 08:21
Ken Sparks
I assisted the DPS after the legislation passed and they now have the affidavit forms in their database. I obtain them all the time. The statute itself, like the business records affidavit, has the preferred format spelled out. I cannot imagine any problem with admissibility. If the case is important enough, a live witness is always preferrred. The affidavit statute was designed for use in routine controlled substance cases.