TDCAA Community
Can you make a "pills" case using ONLY drug logs?

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/8671038251

July 13, 2007, 12:46
DKosub
Can you make a "pills" case using ONLY drug logs?
Has anyone successfully prosecuted (or contemplated) a "Chemicals" case under Sec. 481.124 HSC by utilizing ONLY the "drug logs" required by Sec. 486.014 HSC -- logs recording any sale of over-the-counter medication containing pseudoephedrine or ephedrine which include ID of purchaser and date of purchase?

Specifically, how confident can one feel in obtaining and preserving a conviction if, based solely on the drug logs, a clear pattern of "smurfing" is present... even if no pills are ever located on the subject? Please assume that there are no issues as to the identity of the defendant.
July 13, 2007, 15:13
GG
When you say "a clear pattern of smurfing appears", what does that mean?
July 13, 2007, 15:19
Robert S. DuBoise
I think this must be a North Tex term--basically you, as a meth cook, send out a bunch of burnt up meth-heads to each buy ephedrine/ pseudoephedrine pills for you from the local Wal Mart/Dollar General/CVS/Walgreens, etc....We refer to these low level people as Smurfs. I don't know why--they have absolutely no physical resemblance to Papa Smurf or Smurfette (and just the fact that I can recall those two off the top my head scares the heck out of me).
July 13, 2007, 15:22
Gretchen
However, they bear a striking resemblance to Gargamel...