TDCAA Community
Fake ID

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/883106299

October 19, 2005, 16:27
James
Fake ID
I have a guy who used a fake government issued Identification Card to cash a check. The check was issued to him; however, he was an illegal alien who had set up a fake identification card and presumably a social security card as well. The cashier noticed that Department was mispelled. I thought about prosecuting him under 37.10 of the penal code; however, the fake id does not appear to fit under the governmental document definition of 37.01. The fake id is not a driver's license. It is simply an identification card. Does anyone have any suggestions?
October 19, 2005, 21:54
AlexLayman
The State also issues plain identification cards that are about the same size and shape as a driver's license. I think you even get them down at the DPS office...
October 19, 2005, 22:09
willboyles
You need to take the clerk out to dinner. Most people wouldn't even care enough to id much less look at a misspell, or even be able to catch something like that. Good for that person. And check the DPS office for the ID card provisions.
October 20, 2005, 13:14
J Ansolabehere
DPS issues Personal Identification Certificates as required by statute(see Transportation Code Section 521.101). These ID cards are the same size as a DL, have a photo em, but are different in color from a DL to distinguish them from a DL. They are a government document and as such, your defendant falls under 37.10, Penal Code.

Janette Ansolabehere
Texas Department of Public Safety
Office of General Counsel