TDCAA Community
Driving Training

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/8861025141

December 11, 2006, 13:40
JB
Driving Training
Apparently, Sen. Whitmire needs to add defensive driving to the medley of new rehabilitative programs offered for early release of "nonviolent" felons:

A quarter of truckers at fault in fatal crashes are ex-cons

ASSOCIATED PRESS

DALLAS (AP) - A quarter of big-rig truck drivers faulted in fatal crashes in Texas from 2000 through 2005 had rap sheets, according to a newspaper analysis.

The Dallas Morning News' analysis discovered that of 953 truckers faulted in fatal crashes during that time frame, at least one in four had been convicted of a criminal offense or received deferred adjudication - in which a defendant's record doesn't reflect a conviction as long as probation is completed - before the crash.

More than 14 percent had committed drug or alcohol offenses prior to their accidents. More than one in 10 were felons.
December 11, 2006, 13:44
Gordon LeMaire
I read the article, and wonder what the nexus is between being a bad driver and being an ex-con. I guess they're just out of practice, since there aren't any superhighways in the pen. (Excepting the proposals for fast checkout lanes.)

[This message was edited by Gordon LeMaire on 12-11-06 at .]
December 11, 2006, 14:38
JB
I'm thinking it's the use of drugs, another "nonviolent" activity. Similar to the case we pled last week for 72 years in prison -- defendant broke into a home, looking for money for more crack cocaine, and ended up raping and strangling the elderly woman living in the home. Who knew the mere possession of a controlled substance could be so dangerous?
December 11, 2006, 15:13
Jeff Swain
I wonder how the 1/4 figure compares to the number of felons as a percentage of the big rig truck drivers as a whole. I am curious if the percentage in accidents is consistent with the percentage in general. I have noticed that trucking (and construction) is more forgiving of many felonies than many other occupations are.