TDCAA Community
Motion to Revoke and lie detector confession

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/8961090551

September 14, 2007, 15:22
SAProsecutor
Motion to Revoke and lie detector confession
A sex offender as part of his probation admits to polygraph dude that he frequents strip clubs, goes to high school football games, and has engaged in requesting the services of a lady for a fee on several occasions. Defendant says it happened "two months ago" or "5-6 months" ago.

Now on a motion to revoke, defense counsel states our motion is defective because it does not allege any dates. Now while I will amend to include on or about dates, I don't know if it will be specific enough to hold up in a hearing. The defendant is the only one who can truly tell us what exact date he did these things (and even he probably has forgotten by now).

Am I in trouble or will I be alright as long as I show the judge that the violations occurred after the defendant got on probation and before the motion to revoke was filed?

P.S. The only case I found was Tommy Lee Harwell v. State out of 7th Court of Appeals. Thanks!
September 14, 2007, 15:37
JB
The dates are for notice. Other than that, you must prove they violations occurred while defendant is on probation. Since the defendant made the statements, I wouldn't think he would need any more notice than he provided in the statements.
September 14, 2007, 15:58
SAProsecutor
Do you think it is more correct to say on or after 1/1/05 (date he got on probation) and prior to 7/7/07 (date he confessed) the defendant committed the violation of....

or should I pick a date "5 to 6 months" before the date the defendant confessed?

Which sounds better?
September 14, 2007, 18:07
JB
This is why you say "on or about".