TDCAA Community
Copper Wars

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/9241064261

March 25, 2008, 07:52
<Bob Cole>
Copper Wars
In its bid to deter copper theft a local business wants to use a paintball mine at a facility in order to tag thieves. It looks like this:

Master Mine

I am not a paintball afficionado, but I understand these devices are sometimes used in paintball games.

I do not intend to give legal advice on this preferring to leave that to some well-paid business law expert. Apart from civil liability does anyone see criminal problems arising out of using this device? Isn't this akin to a dye pack that a bank might use?
March 25, 2008, 08:29
JohnR
That is so cool! I want one of those. I don't know what I'd use it for, but I WANT one!
March 25, 2008, 08:49
Shannon Edmonds
Sounds to me like it would be OK under PC Sec. 9.44 (Use of Device to Protect Property). The analogy with the bank dye pack sounds appropriate.

Who knew such a thing existed. Paintball sure has come a long way since I last played it 20 years ago! Sounds a little too serious for me nowadays.
March 25, 2008, 09:30
Andrea W
I agree with both previous posts -- it looks okay legally, and it looks COOL!! I think the next TDCAA conference needs to hold a paintball match. Wink
March 25, 2008, 09:53
J Ansolabehere
I can see one possible issue with a paint ball mine and a dye pack. Paint ball guns usually shoot paint pellets which can, if they hit directly in the eye, cause damage or even blindness. I understand most paintball particpants wear eye protection for that reason. Also, would paint in the eyes cause possible damage; regular paint could. That would be my main concern as far as liability goes.

Janette A
March 25, 2008, 11:28
Gretchen
So you cure that with a disclaimer: "Anyone trespassing or stealing on this property is subject to being shot with a paintball. Please wear proper eye protection at all times when trespassing or stealing. Thank you, The Management."
March 26, 2008, 07:51
Ken Sparks
And if you want to really protect yourself from liability, hang a set of goggles at every likely entry point along with Gretchen's disclaimer!